Intellectual Property Law Attorney, Joseph R. Meaney
Arizona Lawyer Experienced in Patent, Trademark, Trade Secret & Copyright Law
Shareholder since January 1, 2001
|Location:||1938 East Osborn Road, Phoenix, Arizona 85016|
Joe is a registered patent lawyer and a licensed professional engineer in Arizona. Joe represents clients in all aspects of intellectual property, including patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright law. His practice includes patent and trademark prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, litigation of intellectual property disputes in both federal and state court, and the preparation of various documents, including licensing agreements and assignments. Joe is admitted in both the state and federal courts of Arizona.
Prior to attending law school, Joe was a structural engineer for more than four years with a mid-size engineering firm in Massachusetts and New York.
Areas of Practice
- 80% Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights
- 15% Other IP related issues (trade secrets, licensing)
- 40% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1999
- Arizona, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2010
- All Clear Fire Systems®
- K2 Adventures Foundation®
- Red Cup Living®
- Voltmarc Technologies™
- Patent Reexamination: Obtained reversal of Examiner’s initial decision rejecting all claims; 13 out of 20 claims confirmed patentable.
- Copyright/DMCA Appeal to Ninth Circuit: Persuaded 9th Circuit to reverse lower court’s decision and remand back to District Court.
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB): Won “no likelihood of confusion” after trial and Board decision.
- Patent Litigation: Represented plaintiff in the Eastern District of Texas against Fortune 500 company; achieved successful settlement.
- Summary Judgment: Obtained summary judgment on merits for plaintiff on breach of contract issue.
- Copyright Infringement: Argued for copyright infringement of architectural designs before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Electronic apparatus for hose attachment to enhance visibility, communication, atmospheric monitoring
- Security alarm system device and component for securing outdoor appliances
- Electronic circuit tester and method of use
- Moisture barrier wall
- Bottle opener
- Key chain charm
- Programmable panel schedule
- Golf training assembly
- Polyacrylamide delivery device
- Wastewater treatment system
- Method of incorporating sound wave into audio composition
- Improved pop-up tent structure
- System for cooling residential structures
- Gadget holding device
- Hand-held massage tool
- Beverage cups
Federal Trademark Registrations
- Successfully registered more than 140 trademarks
- AZ Association for Corporate Counsel, 2014
- Intellectual Property & Transactions M&A Roundtable, 2012
- Introduction to Copyright, Trademark and Other IP Law, CLE conference 2011
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- J.D. (Cum Laude) – 1996
- American Jurisprudence Award – Torts
- American Juriprudence Award – Criminal Law
- Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- B.S. Civil Engineering (Cum Laude) – 1989
- Frye to Daubert: Is a Pattern Unfolding?, Jurimetrics, 35:191, 1995
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus: A Closer Look, Jurimetrics, 36:383 , 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Patent Attorney, United States Patent and Trademark Office 1999 – present
- Professional Engineer, Board of Technical Registration (AZ) 1996 – present
“A few years ago, I found myself in a legal controversy involving intellectual property, and happily, found Joe Meaney. He became my trusted advisor in this matter. Not only did he guide me through the mess successfully, he did so without having to go to court. Saved me time, money, and a lot of stress, and the issue, once settled, has remained settled.
Recently, when my husband and I had another issue to deal with, we immediately went to Joe, who again gave us the perspective and advice we needed. But then, perhaps even more importantly, when the case developed some new dimensions, he recognized that we needed some more, and different help, and sent us to exactly the right attorney, in terms of expertise and people skills, for the purpose.”