Wendy K. Akbar
Best Way to Contact Me: Email
Admitted to Practice Law in 2003
- Trade Secrets
- IP Licensing
- Internet Law
- Business Contracts
- I have experience with matters involving a wide range of technologies – from software, pharmaceutical drugs, semiconductors and artificial intelligence, to food (including pizza and butter), trains-planes-and-automobiles, sleep science, and online gaming – along with creative works of writers, musicians, and artists.
- Because I am knowledgeable on how disparate technologies and sciences interface with the law, I see connections and differences across intellectual property assets that allow me to think “outside the box.” I use this perspective to draft and make compelling arguments that leverage your position, and to innovate unique solutions to your legal problems.
- Intellectual property is the lifeblood of a company. I approach matters holistically, thinking several steps ahead to focus on strategy that will address not only the immediate issue, but ensure long-term success of the brand, the IP, and the business of small and large companies alike.
- I break down complex legal principles, arguments, and technological gobbledygook into clear, comprehensive language that is easy and pleasurable to review -- and as a result, that is seen as persuasive common sense.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Entertainment Law: Music (Or, How to Roll in the Rock Industry)
- “On Your Mark, Get Set, Register!: The Anatomy of a Trademark, the Nuts and Bolts of the U.S. Trademark Application Process, and a Primer on International Registration,” Arizona Corp. Counsel CLE
- “Attacking Patent Trolls with Sword and Shield: Effective Offensive and Defensive Strategies for Dealing with Troll Threats and Litigation,” Arizona Corp. Counsel CLE
- “Ethics Surrounding the Use of Social Media in Litigation and Daily Practice,” DRI Business Litigation and Intellectual Property Seminar
University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, PA
- Juris Doctorate, Journal of Constitutional Law, Senior Editor, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Cognitive Psychology, High Honors, 1999
Three Things You May Not Know About Me:
- I am recognized as an AV Preeminent® Rated attorney and Arizona Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, a 40 Under Forty by the Phoenix Business Journal, a Southwest Super Lawyer in IP Litigation, and received the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce ATHENA Young Professional Award.
- I enjoy writing fiction and comedic poetry and dabbling in amateur artistic endeavors; in 2015 I was the Winner of the Annual Creative Arts Competition for Arizona Attorney Magazine in the Fiction Category for my illustrated short story “The Thirteenth Story.”
- In college, I was a Division III All-American tennis and badminton varsity player.